Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Center for Standardization and Evaluation of Biologicals
Director / Head:
Dr Junzhi Wang
Institute for Biological Product Control (IBPC)
National Institutes for Food and Drug control (NIFDC)
Tiantan Xili No. 2
+86 10 6701 4382
+86 10 6709 5795
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To support WHO in developing international written standards for production and quality control of vaccines and biologicals.
- To contribute to the development of international standards & reference materials for vaccines and biologicals.
- To conduct research & development of quality control assays for vaccines and biologicals, particularly the development of new and improved test methods following WHO priorities.
- To contribute to the regional work to assure the quality and safety of vaccines and biologicals (e.g. assist in implementing WHO guidelines into regulatory practice in WPRO or other regions and strengthening the west pacific regional alliance).
- To provide technical assistance in assuring the quality of vaccines and biologicals (e.g. provide support to the WHO pre-qualification program).
Types of activity:
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Provision of reference substances and other services
Ower: 11.1 - Formulation and monitoring of comprehensive national policies on access, quality and use of essential medical products and technologies advocated and supported.
Ower: 11.2 - International norms, standards and guidelines for the quality, safety, efficacy and cost effective use of medical products and technologies developed and their national and/or regional implementation advocated and supported.
Ower: 1.1 - Policy and technical support provided to Member States in order to maximize equitable access of all people to vaccines of assured quality, including new immunization product and technologies, and to integrate other essential child-health interventions with immunization.
+41 22 791 3136
+63 2 5289740
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork