Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Center in Occupational and Environmental Health
Director / Head:
Dr. Annalee Yassi
Dr. Jerry Spiegel
The Global Health Research Program, School of Population and Public Health
University of British Columbia
2206 East Mall
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To contribute to WHO/PAHO’s work in building best practices in occupational health for healthcare workers.
- To contribute to WHO/PAHO’s work in promoting an effective ecosystem approach to complex occupational and environmental health problems.
- To support WHO/PAHO in building capacities to improve health equity by more systematically addressing occupational and environmental health issues.
- Occupational health
- Human resources for health (excluding Nursing)
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Development and application of appropriate technology
Ower: 8.4 - Guidance, tools and initiatives created in order to support the health sector in influencing policies in other sectors to allow policies that improve health, the environment and safety to be identified and adopted.
Ower: 8.2 - Technical support and guidance provided to Member States for the implementation of primary prevention interventions that reduce environmental hazards to health, enhance safety and promote public health, including in specific settings (e.g. workplaces, homes or urban settings) and among vulnerable population groups (e.g. children).
Ower: 8.3 - Technical assistance and support provided to Member States for strengthening national occupational and environmental health risk management systems, functions and services.
You can also contact:
- CHILDS Chris
- SOARES DA SILVA Agnes
+41 22 79 14780
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork