Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Bioethics
Director / Head:
Prof Larry Librach
Prof Jennifer Gibson
Joint Centre for Bioethics
University of Toronto
155 College Street, Suite 754
(1-416) 978 4756
(1-416) 978 1911
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To collaborate in research projects in the field of biomedical and public health ethics.
- To assist WHO in developing materials for educational (or advocacy) purposes in biomedical and public health ethics.
- To collaborate with WHO and academic institutions, in particular in the Region of the Americas, for training activities in bioethics/research ethics for both researchers and ethics review committee members.
- To participate in WHO consultations and the preparation and review of relevant documents on emerging issues in bioethics.
- Health legislation and human rights
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Coordination of activities carried out by several institutions (e.g. other WHO collaborating centres)
Ower: 7.4 - Ethics- and human rights-based approaches to health promoted within WHO and at national and global levels.
REIS Andreas Alois
+41 22 79 13932
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork