Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Prevention of Work and Environmental Related Illnesses
Director / Head:
Prof. Dr. Dr Donna MERGLER
Dr. Johanne Saint-charles
Center for Studies in Biology, Health Environment and Society, Institute for Environmental Sciences (CINBIOSE)
University of Quebec in Montreal
Case Postale 8888, Centreville
(1-514) 987 3000
(1-514) 987 6183
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To support and contribute to WHO/PAHO’s work in occupational & environmental health research and capacity building by developing and integrating a global transdisciplinary ecosystem approach to human health (ecohealth) into research and training activities in occupational and environmental health.
- To contribute to WHO/PAHO’s work for the support of labour organizations & community groups’ integration in action-research projects.
- To assist WHO/PAHO’s work to promote the integration of sex and gender considerations into occupational and environmental health
- Occupational health
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
- Mental health & neurosciences
Types of activity:
- Coordination of activities carried out by several institutions (e.g. other WHO collaborating centres)
- Information dissemination
WHO organization wide expected result:
8.3 - Technical assistance and support provided to Member States for strengthening national occupational and environmental health risk management systems, functions and services.
8.5 - Health-sector leadership enhanced for creating a healthier environment and changing policies in all sectors so as to tackle the root causes of environmental threats to health, through means such as responding to emerging and re-emerging consequences of development on environmental health and altered patterns of consumption and production and to the damaging effect of evolving technologies.
8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
DORA Carlos Francisco C.
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork