Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Pharmaceutical Policies
Director / Head:
Dr Vera Luiza
Nucleus for Pharmaceutical Policies, National School of Public Health
Fundação Oswaldo Cruz (FIOCRUZ)
1480 Rua Leopoldo Bulhões, #622 to 632 - Manguinhos
Rio de Janeiro
+55 21 2598-2762
+55 21 2209-3076
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Contributing to development, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of WHO pharmaceutical policies, with special emphasis on government programs in the Region of the Americas and in Portuguese speaking African countries through the strengthening of advisory services;
- Promoting the development of human resources at graduate level in relevant areas within those related to WHO pharmaceutical policies;
- Strengthening promotion and exchange of regional research studies within pharmaceutical services programs aiming at rationalizing resources;
- Discussing and generating concepts and documents related to specific or regional relevant aspects in the context of the PAHO and the WHO Medicines Department.
- Pharmaceuticals (including essential drugs and medicines)
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
WHO organization wide expected result:
11.1 - Formulation and monitoring of comprehensive national policies on access, quality and use of essential medical products and technologies advocated and supported.
10.9 - Technical support provided to Member States, with a focus on those facing severe health-workforce difficulties in order to improve the production, distribution, skill mix and retention of the health workforce.
10.10 - Evidence-based policy and technical support provided to Member States to improve health system financing in terms of the availability of funds, social and financial risk protection, equity, access to services and efficiency of resource use.
LAING Richard Ogilvie
+41 22 79 14533
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork