Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Tobacco Control
Director / Head:
Prof. Dr Luiz Fernando BOUZAS
Secretaria Executiva da Comissão Nacional para Implementação da Convenção-Quadro para o Controle do Tabaco (CONICQ)
Instituto Nacional de Câncer José Alencar Gomes da Silva (INCA)
Rua do Resende nº 128/ 3o andar - Centro - Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To support PAHO/WHO to build capacity for the implementation of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control in the Region of the Americas and other Portuguese speaking countries from other Regions.
- To implement training programs on tobacco control consistent with PAHO/WHO recommendations
- In coordination with PAHO/WHO to develop research programs in tobacco control.
Types of activity:
- Coordination of activities carried out by several institutions (e.g. other WHO collaborating centres)
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
- Training and education
2.1.2 - Countries enabled to implement strategies to reduce modifiable risk factors for noncommunicable diseases (tobacco use, diet, physical inactivity and harmful use of alcohol), including the underlying social determinants
Ower: 3.4 - Improved evidence compiled by WHO on the cost-effectiveness of interventions to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological and substance-use disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
Ower: 3.6 - Guidance and support provided to Member States to improve the ability of their health and social systems to prevent and manage chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
+41 22 791 5495
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork