Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Prevention, Preparedness and Response to Chemical Emergencies
Director / Head:
Mr. Jorge Luiz Nobre Gouveia
Companhia Ambiental do Estado de São Paulo (CETESB)
Av. Professor Frederico Hermann Jr., 345 Alto de Pinheiros - Anexo Prédio 01
(55-11) 3133 3493
(55-11) 3133 3986
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1. To support WHO Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Relief Program.
- 2. Provide technical support on prevention, preparedness & response to chemical emergencies to Latin American Countries.
- 3. Organize training courses on prevention, preparedness & response to chemical emergencies.
- 4. Production of guidelines for prevention, preparedness & response to chemical emergencies.
- 5.To assist in the elaboration of plans for chemical emergencies response.
- 6. To Participate in joint missions to PAHO/WHO member countries & meet with authorities involved in chemical emergencies for planning cooperation activities.
- Chemical safety
- Emergency & humanitarian action
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Training and education
Ower: 5.1 - Norms and standards developed, capacity built and technical support provided to Member States for the development and strengthening of national emergency preparedness plans and programmes.
Ower: 5.5 - Support provided to Member States for strengthening national preparedness and for establishing alert and response mechanisms for food-safety and environmental health emergencies.
Ower: 5.6 - Effective communications issued, partnerships formed and coordination developed with other organizations in the United Nations system, governments, local and international nongovernmental organizations, academic institutions and professional associations at the country, regional and global levels.
UGARTE CASAFRANCA Ciro
+1 (202) 9743708
+41 22 791 3731
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork