Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre on Radiation Protection and Medical Preparedness to Radiation Accidents
Director / Head:
MSc Raul dos Santos
Dr Raul dos Santos
Institute of Radioprotection & Dosimetry (IRD)
Brazilian Nuclear Energy Commission
Av. Salvador Allende, s/n, Recreio dos Bandeirantes
Rio de Janeiro
+55 21 2173 2701
+55 21 2173 2709
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- As a REMPAN focal point in Brazil, to support WHO response to radiation emergencies in Latin America and capacity building activities, such as exercises, training and information sharing.
- To support WHO work on strengthening preparedness for radiation emergencies and development of technical tools and guidelines on public health response planning and medical management of persons accidentally exposed to ionizing radiation.
- Under the REMPAN framework, to cooperate with the WHO and the network members on medical evaluation, treatment, and follow-up of persons accidentally exposed to ionizing radiation.
- Under BioDoseNet framework, to provide technical support and cooperate with WHO and other members of the network in the area of cytogenetic, bioassays, and general dosimetry.
- Emergency & humanitarian action
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Outbreaks and emergencies
- Training and education
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
Ower: 5.5 - Support provided to Member States for strengthening national preparedness and for establishing alert and response mechanisms for food-safety and environmental health emergencies.
Ower: 8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
Ower: 8.4 - Guidance, tools and initiatives created in order to support the health sector in influencing policies in other sectors to allow policies that improve health, the environment and safety to be identified and adopted.
+41 22 79 13483
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork