Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the WHO Family of International Classifications (WHO-FIC) in Portuguese
Director / Head:
Dr. Cassia Buchalla
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health
University of Sao Paulo
Av. Dr Arnaldo 715, room S15
+55- (11) 3061 7747
+55 (11) 3061 7933
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- Assist WHO in the development, maintenance and revision of the Classifications, Terminologies and Standards (CTS) products, in particular the International Classification
of Diseases (ICD), the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF), the International Classification of Health Interventions (ICHI), and the International Classification of Traditional Medicine (ICTM), with their relevant terminological and ontological aspects.
- Support global work with active participation in implementation, education, update, revision, electronic tools, terminology, and other activities which assist WHO in the development, testing, implementation, use, improvement, updating and revision of the CTS products.
- Collaborate with local and regional users of classifications by networking, providing support for, and disseminating information about CTS products regarding the availability,
suitability and applicability of the classifications for different purposes, in coordination with WHO.
- Promote the use of the CTS products through developing, formulating and sharing teaching materials, organizing and conducting local, regional and global training in coordination with WHO.
- Improve the level and quality of implementation of WHO classifications while supporting
quality assurances procedures for CTS products in coordination with WHO
- Classifications of diseases
- Disabilities and rehabilitation (excluding accident prevention)
- Health information; statistics; measurement & trend assessment
Types of activity:
- Standardization of terminology and nomenclature
- Training and education
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
Ower: 10.5 - Better knowledge and evidence for health decision-making assured through consolidation and publication of existing evidence, facilitation of knowledge generation in priority areas, and global leadership in health research policy and coordination, including with regard to ethical conduct.
RUIZ LUNA Patricia Lorena
+41 22 791 5877
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork