Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases
Director / Head:
Prof. dr. Pierre Van Damme
Vaccine & Infectious Disease Institute
University of Antwerp
+32 3 820 25 23
+32 3 820 26 40
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- • To promote the implementation of WHO recommendations on prevention and control of vaccine-preventable diseases in all European countries, in particular through functioning as a temporary advisor to the WHO European Regional Office as well as the WHO HQ. All these activities will be conducted in collaboration with WHO. Priority collaborative actions are: (1) to organize meetings of infectious disease experts to elaborate technical guidelines on all aspects of VPD prevention and control; (2) to produce and disseminate information for health decision makers and health professionals; (3) to increase the awareness of the public at large on the importance of VPD prevention through media campaigns and health promotion materials; (4) to provide methodological support for the evaluation of vaccination programmes at community level, including economic evaluation studies; (5) to collaborate and support in the training of personnel dealing with epidemiological methodology, programme planning, diagnostics and test validation, and evaluation techniques.
- • to assist countries in the Region with technical support for assessment, preparation and implementation of national immunization plans (through consultancies upon request of the Regional WHO Office)
- • to advice on improvement and coordination of surveillance and notification systems of VPD upon request of the Regional WHO Office.
- • to cooperate with other WHO collaborating centres in the field of infectious diseases
- Communicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Training and education
Ower: 1.1 - Policy and technical support provided to Member States in order to maximize equitable access of all people to vaccines of assured quality, including new immunization product and technologies, and to integrate other essential child-health interventions with immunization.
Ower: 1.4 - Policy and technical support provided to Member States in order to enhance their capacity to carry out surveillance and monitoring of all communicable diseases of public health importance.
+45 45 33 67 82
MANTEL Carsten Frithjof
+41 22 79 13830
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork