Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Training on human African trypanosomiasis diagnostics
Director / Head:
Professor Philippe Büscher
Parasite Diagnostics Unit, Department of Parasitology
Institute of Tropical Medicine
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Scientific and technical collaboration on human African trypanosomiasis diagnosis
- Training in human African trypanosomiasis diagnosis
- Collaboration on guidelines for human African trypanosomiasis diagnosis
- Collaboration on human African trypanosomiasis surveillance
- Collaboration on the WHO specimen Bank including advice to the exit committee.
- Health Technology (including laboratory services; but excluding blood safety)
- Human resources for health (excluding Nursing)
Types of activity:
- Development and application of appropriate technology
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Training and education
Ower: 1.3 - Effective coordination and support provided to Member States in order to provide access for all populations to interventions for the prevention, control, elimination and eradication of neglected tropical diseases, including zoonotic diseases.
Ower: 1.4 - Policy and technical support provided to Member States in order to enhance their capacity to carry out surveillance and monitoring of all communicable diseases of public health importance.
Ower: 1.5 - New knowledge, intervention tools and strategies that meet priority needs for the prevention and control of communicable diseases developed and validated, with scientists from developing countries increasingly taking the lead in this research.
FRANCO MINGUELL Jose Ramon
+41 22 791 3313
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork