Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Food and Water Safety, and Indoor Environment
Director / Head:
Mr Stan Hazan
International European Regional Office
National Sanitation Foundation (NSF)
Kleine Kloosterstraat 6
(32-2) 771 36 54
(32-2) 763 00 13
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- A. Assistance to WHO & its Member States in matters related to food safety; in the safeguarding of the quality of community water supplies & in matters related to indoor environments, & in the control of related health impacts.
- B. Support to WHO in the preparation & revision of guideline documents relating to: - the production, treatment, storage & supply of safe food & beverage; - drinking water quality, treatment & related health effects particularly on aspects which are complimentary to those included in the Drinking Water Guidelines; - indoor environments.
- C. Maintenance of technical/scientific databases on food safety, drinking water safety & treatment & indoor environments, as & when required by WHO.
- D. Assist WHO wih the development of a query response service to national public health agencies, industry & consumer requests covering the following subjects: - safe food & beverage; - drinking water treatment chemicals/additives & their health effects; - drinking water treatment systems & related products, components & materials; - plastics & plumbing system components; - bottled water; - indoor air pollution & health indicators.
- E. Technical cooperation with WHO & with Member States on request, on the application of food safety systems, with particular regard to HACCP & general food hygiene principles; on the provision of safe drinking water, including bottled water, & on matters relating to indoor environments & health-related aspects of swimming pools & similar facilities.
- F. Direct cooperation with WHO Headquarters & Regional Offices, & with other WHO Collaborating Centres in the assessment of health effects & methods for their control in matters related to food safety, drinking water safety & treatment, swimming pool & other leisure pool & indoor environments.
- G. Liaison on health-significant issues related to food safety, to drinking water safety & treatment & to indoor environments with other international organizations including FAO, CODEX & ISO as well as with leading national & regional institutions.
- Water & sanitation
- Food safety
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Training and education
WHO organization wide expected result:
8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
+41 22 79 14430
AERTGEERTS Roger Jozef
+49 228 8150476
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork