Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for HIV/AIDS Diagnostics and Laboratory Support
Director / Head:
Dr Luc Kestens
Dr Katrien Fransen
Department of Microbiology
Institute of Tropical Medicine
(32-3) 247 63 32
(32-3) 247 07 89
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To advise on surveillance of retroviral diseases in particular HIV & HTLVI/II.
- To design & participate in WHO collaborating studies related to diagnostic technologies for markers of HIV infection.
- To provide laboratory reference services in consultation with WHO.
- To provide reference panels of sera.
- To advise on the quality & characteristics of diagnostic kits for HIV serology & nucleic acid amplification technologies.
- To advise on CD4 technologies.
- To act as a repository for the WHO HIV evaluation panels.
- To train laboratory & public health personnel.
Types of activity:
- Provision of reference substances and other services
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Training and education
WHO organization wide expected result:
11.2 - International norms, standards and guidelines for the quality, safety, efficacy and cost effective use of medical products and technologies developed and their national and/or regional implementation advocated and supported.
11.3 - Evidence based policy guidance on promoting scientifically sound and cost-effective use of medical products and technologies by health workers and consumers developed and supported within the Secretariat and regional and national programmes.
2.5 - Political commitment sustained and mobilization of resources ensured through advocacy and nurturing of partnerships on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria at country, regional and global levels; support provided to countries as appropriate to develop or strengthen and implement mechanisms for resource mobilization and utilization and increase the absorption capacity of available resources; and engagement of communities and affected persons increased to maximize the reach and performance of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria control programmes.
VERCAUTEREN Gaby Henriette
+41 22 79 14728
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork