Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Health & Biomedical Terminology
Director / Head:
Dr Christian GALINSKI
Standards development unit
International Information Centre for Terminology (INFOTERM)
(43) 664 344 6181
(43-1) 587 6990
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- To advise & assist WHO in evaluating existing classifications & clinical terminologies with regard to their compliance to international standards for the sake of content interoperability in the service of health information systems in Member States.
- To plan & implement terminology training schemes, particularly with a view to support the implementation of WHO classifications and terminologies (incl. the Family of International Classifications) in developing countries and large minority language communities.
- To implement regularly mechanisms for mutual information, consultation, support & co-ordination of such activities as may be engaged into by the WHO.
- To assist in introducing new working items into international standardization (particularly with respect to multilingual structured content), whenever WHO identifies the need for a standard.
- To provide technical advice, on request, to WHO at international coordination bodies, such as the Management Group (MoU/MG) of the ITU-ISO-IEC-UN/ECE Memorandum of Understanding concerning the coordination of standardization efforts in eBusiness (incl. product classification, eHealth etc.)"
- Health information; statistics; measurement & trend assessment
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Providing technical advise to WHO
Ower: 10.4 - Country health-information systems that provide and use high-quality and timely information for health planning and for monitoring progress towards national and major international goals strengthened.
USTUN Tevfik Bedirhan
+41 22 79 13609
LOYOLA ELIZONDO Enrique Gerardo
+45 45 33 67 66
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork