Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Center for Nursing and Midwifery Education and Research Capacity-Building
Director / Head:
Professor Kim Usher
Dr Caryn West
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Nutrition
James Cook University Australia
PO Box 6811
+617 4042 1048
+617 4042 1590
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Promote and support the regional and international development of nursing and midwifery education, particularly incorporating innovative delivery methods.
- Form a Western Pacific nursing and midwifery education network to strengthen the capacity of nursing schools to deliver quality standards of nursing and midwifery curricula.
- Serve as one of the three core research leaders for the APEDNN to develop a research framework to support the implementation of quality emergency and disaster nursing education and competencies.
- Promote and facilitate health workforce development through technical review of health service workplans in the Pacific region.
Types of activity:
- Coordination of activities carried out by several institutions (e.g. other WHO collaborating centres)
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
WHO organization wide expected result:
10.8 - Health-workforce information and knowledge base strengthened, and country capacities for policy analysis, planning, implementation, information-sharing and research built up.
10.9 - Technical support provided to Member States, with a focus on those facing severe health-workforce difficulties in order to improve the production, distribution, skill mix and retention of the health workforce.
GEDIK Fethiye Gulin
+ 63 2 5289816
NKOWANE Annette Mwansa
+41 22 79 14314
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork