Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Mycobacterium Ulcerans
Director / Head:
Professor Paul Johnson
Mycobacterium Reference Laboratory (MRL)
Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory (VIDRL)
792 Elizabeth St
+61 3 9342 9617
+61 3 9342 9673
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To provide laboratory support for confirmation of Mycobacterium ulcerans infection in humans and animals for the Western Pacific Region in line with WHO recommendations.
- To systematically record and report all confirmed cases of M. ulcerans infection in Australia and other endemic countries in the Western Pacific region to the relevant state and national health authorities using WHO standard forms, and to continue expanding the Centre’s existing archive of isolates.
- To further develop expertise in sequence based typing methods to gain a better understanding of disease transmission.
- To contribute to public advocacy designed to increase awareness both locally and internationally of this important neglected disease.
- Communicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Health information; statistics; measurement & trend assessment
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Development and application of appropriate technology
Ower: 1.3 - Effective coordination and support provided to Member States in order to provide access for all populations to interventions for the prevention, control, elimination and eradication of neglected tropical diseases, including zoonotic diseases.
Ower: 2.3 - Global guidance and technical support provided on policies and programmes in order to promote equitable access to essential medicines, diagnostic tools and health technologies of assured quality for the prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, and their rational use by prescribers and consumers, and, in order to ensure uninterrupted supplies of diagnostics, safe blood and blood products, injections and other essential health technologies and commodities.
ASIEDU Kingsley Bampoe
+41 22 791 2803
ABEYASINGHE Rabindra Romauld
+63 2 5289725
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork