Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference and Research on Leptospirosis
Director / Head:
Dr Lee SMYTHE
Public and Environmental Health
Queensland Health Forensic and Scientific Services
39 Kessels Road - 4108 QLD.
(61-7) 327 49064
(61-7) 327 49175
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- 1. Assist WHO strengthen laboratory capacity in the Asia Pacific Region in line with the WHO Asia Pacific Strategy for Emerging Diseases (APSED).
- 2. Respond to requests from WHO and Member States to provide support in investigations of outbreaks of leptospirosis.
- 3. Support Member States’ activities to enhance surveillance of leptospirosis as recommended by APSED.
Types of activity:
- Provision of reference substances and other services
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Outbreaks and emergencies
Ower: 1.3 - Effective coordination and support provided to Member States in order to provide access for all populations to interventions for the prevention, control, elimination and eradication of neglected tropical diseases, including zoonotic diseases.
Ower: 1.4 - Policy and technical support provided to Member States in order to enhance their capacity to carry out surveillance and monitoring of all communicable diseases of public health importance.
Ower: 1.5 - New knowledge, intervention tools and strategies that meet priority needs for the prevention and control of communicable diseases developed and validated, with scientists from developing countries increasingly taking the lead in this research.
+63 2 52 89944
BERTHERAT Eric Gerard Georges
+41 22 791 4608
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork