Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Obesity Prevention
Director / Head:
Professor Boyd Swinburn
Professor Jane den Hollander
Population Health Strategic Research Centre, Faculty of Health
1 Gheringhap St
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To participate in research under WHO leadership and build research and monitoring capacity in all aspects of obesity prevention
- To train and educate professionals and academics in the science and art of obesity prevention
- To support WHO (especially in the Western Pacific Region) in the development, advocacy, implementation and evaluation of population-based strategies for obesity prevention
- To provide expert advice to WHO on obesity-related matters and support for WHO and other key institutions to increase the capacity and capabilities of people in the Region (especially in the Pacific) in obesity prevention.
- Noncommunicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Training and education
Ower: 9.2 - Norms, including references, requirements, research priorities, guidelines, training manuals and standards, produced and disseminated to Member States in order to increase their capacity to assess and respond to all forms of malnutrition, and zoonotic and non-zoonotic foodborne diseases, and to promote healthy dietary practices.
Ower: 9.3 - Monitoring and surveillance of needs and assessment and evaluation of responses in the area of nutrition and diet-related chronic diseases strengthened, and ability to identify best policy options improved, in stable and emergency situations.
Ower: 9.4 - Capacity built and support provided to target Member States for the development, strengthening and implementation of nutrition plans, policies and programmes aimed at improving nutrition throughout the life-course, in stable and emergency situations.
+63 2 5289093
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork