Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Prevention of Alcohol and Drug Abuse
Director / Head:
Prof. Steven ALLSOP
National Drug Research Institute
Curtin University, Health Research Campus, Level 2, 10 Selby Street, Shenton Park, WA 6008
(61-8) 9266 1600
(61-8) 9266 1611
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Provide technical contribution to the WHO work in the area of monitoring patterns of alcohol and drug use, related harms and societal responses.
- Participate in collaborative WHO-supported research projects on substance abuse and make contributions as required.
- Support development and implementation of WHO strategies, action plans and programs to reduce alcohol and drug related harm by addressing research priorities, capacity building and technical cooperation.
- Provide training for professionals from low and middle income countries on the nature of alcohol & drug problems and measures to reduce these problems.
- Develop in consultation and collaboration with WHO partnerships in the prevention of alcohol & other drug problems among disadvantaged and vulnerable populations.
- Substance abuse (including alcohol & drugs)
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Provision of reference substances and other services
Ower: 6.4 - Evidence-based and ethical policies, strategies, recommendations, standards and guidelines developed, and technical support provided to Member States with a high or increasing burden of disease or death associated with alcohol, drugs and other psychoactive substance use, enabling them to strengthen institutions in order to combat or prevent the public health problems concerned.
POZNYAK Vladimir B.
+41 22 791 4307
+63 2 5289860
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork