Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Prevention and Control of Alcohol and Drug Abuse
Director / Head:
Prof. Richard P. MATTICK
Dr Kate Dolan
National Drug & Alcohol Research Centre
University of New South Wales
NSW 2052 -
(61-2) 9385 0333
(61-2) 9385 0222
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To provide technical contributions to WHO programme activities in the Region and worldwide aimed at reducing the public health problems caused by drug-related HIV/AIDS
- To participate in WHO collaborative research projects and training activities in the area of substance use and dependence and make contributions as required
- collaborate on collection, collation and analysis of information and data on epidemiology of drug use and drug dependence and associated health problems, such as HIV/AIDS, and on estimating and monitoring drug-attributable disease burden.
- To contribute to developing the operational network of research and training centers working with WHO in the areas related to substance abuse and drug-related HIV/AIDS and STI.
- Substance abuse (including alcohol & drugs)
Types of activity:
- Information dissemination
- Training and education
WHO organization wide expected result:
6.4 - Evidence-based and ethical policies, strategies, recommendations, standards and guidelines developed, and technical support provided to Member States with a high or increasing burden of disease or death associated with alcohol, drugs and other psychoactive substance use, enabling them to strengthen institutions in order to combat or prevent the public health problems concerned.
3.4 - Improved evidence compiled by WHO on the cost-effectiveness of interventions to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological and substance-use disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
POZNYAK Vladimir B.
+41 22 79 14307
+63 2 5289858
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork