Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Child Health
Director / Head:
Dr Carl Kirkwood
Professor Ruth Bishop
Enteric Virus Research Group; Infection, Immunity and Environment Theme
Murdoch Children's Research Institute
(61-3) 9345 5062
(61-3) 8341 6449
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To store & distribute standard diagnostic reagents, reference strains of human rotaviruses & cell lines.
- To fulfil the training functions of WHO, provided that financial support is available.
- To develop, evaluate & standardize methods of diagnosis, typing & characterization of human rotaviruses.
- To study the molecular evolution of rotaviruses strains causing severe disease in young children.
- To participate in workshops & conferences organized by WHO on subjects relevant to enteric virus research & rotaviruses vaccine development.
- Viral diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Child & maternal health
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Provision of reference substances and other services
WHO organization wide expected result:
1.5 - New knowledge, intervention tools and strategies that meet priority needs for the prevention and control of communicable diseases developed and validated, with scientists from developing countries increasingly taking the lead in this research.
+41 22 79 15483
+63 2 5289745
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork