Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Child Health
Director / Head:
Dr Carl Kirkwood
Enteric Virus Research Group; Infection, Immunity and Environment Theme
Murdoch Children's Research Institute
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To contribute to WHOs work in the development of guidelines for rotavirus diagnosis, typing and characterisation
- To provide specialized training on rotavirus detection and characterisation, provided that financial support is available
- To store & distribute standard diagnostic reagents, reference strains of human rotaviruses & cell lines.
- To study the molecular evolution of rotaviruses strains causing severe disease in young children.
- To participate in workshops & conferences organized by WHO on subjects relevant to enteric virus research, rotaviruses surveillance, vaccine introduction and impact evaluation
- Viral diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Child & maternal health
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Provision of reference substances and other services
Ower: 1.5 - New knowledge, intervention tools and strategies that meet priority needs for the prevention and control of communicable diseases developed and validated, with scientists from developing countries increasingly taking the lead in this research.
+41 22 79 15483
+63 2 5289745
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork