Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Environmental Management for Vector Control
Director / Head:
Prof. Brian Herbert Kay
Mosquito Control Laboratory
Queensland Institute for Medical Research
300 Herston Road - 4029 QLD
(61-7) 3362 0350
(61-7) 3362 0111 / 3362 0106
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- Collaborate with the Water,Sanitation and Health Unit and other relevant programmes on the promotion of environmental management for vector control in the context of WHO's integrated vector management (IVM) strategy
- Contribute, through research and development, to the evidence base on environmental management (particularly water management and other engineered approaches) for vector control as an alternative to chemical control methods
- Participate in capacity building activities in the WPR and beyond on enviromental management and other vector control interventions in the context of IVM, on cost-effectiveness analysis of vector control options and on health impact assessment of development projects.
- Consider requests for the preparation of documents & materials for expert meetings and consultations, and for training, workshops & seminars, as well as requests for the assignment of short-term consultants in research & training activities.
- Vector biology & control
- Environmental health and hazards other than those specifically mentioned
- Viral diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Training and education
Ower: 8.1 - Evidence-based assessments made, and norms and standards formulated and updated on major environmental hazards to health (e.g., poor air quality, chemical substances, electromagnetic fields, radon, poor-quality drinking-water and waste-water reuse)
Ower: 8.3 - Technical assistance and support provided to Member States for strengthening national occupational and environmental health risk management systems, functions and services.
Ower: 6.1 - Advice and support provided to Member States to build their capacity for health promotion across all relevant programmes, and to establish effective multisectoral and multidisciplinary collaborations for promoting health and preventing or reducing major risk factors.
+41 22 79 13555
+63 2 5289723
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork