Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for the Epidemiology of Diabetes Mellitus and Health Promotion for NCD Control
Director / Head:
Professor Jonathan Shaw
Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute
90 Commercial Road
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To collaborate with WHO in the field of research, collection and dissemination of information on the epidemiology, prevention and control of diabetes mellitus and its complications, and other related noncommunicable diseases
- To develop prevention and control programmes for diabetes & other noncommunicable diseases globally, andto carry out the function of a coordinating centre for the development of NCD demonstration projects in the Western Pacific Region.
- To collaborate with WHO in training health workers from countries of the Western Pacific Region in the epidemiology & prevention & control of diabetes & its complications, & of other noncommunicable diseases.
- .To assist WHO in its normative work on methods for effective intervention, in relation to diabetes and related noncommunicable diseases .
- Noncommunicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Providing technical advise to WHO
Ower: 3.1 - Advocacy and support provided to increase political, financial and technical commitment in Member States in order to tackle chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
Ower: 3.6 - Guidance and support provided to Member States to improve the ability of their health and social systems to prevent and manage chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and behavioural disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
+41 22 79 14306
VARGHESE Cherian V.
+63 2 5289866
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork