Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Malaria
Director / Head:
Prof Dennis Shanks
Australian Army Malaria Institute
Weary Dunlop Drive, Gallipoli Barracks - QLD 4052 Queensland
(61-7) 3332 4801
(61-7) 3332 4800
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To develop in vivo/in vitro methods to improve the classification of drug resistance & the prophylaxis/treatment of malaria. .
- To conduct pharmacokinetic studies to optimize the efficacy and effectiveness of existing drugs.
- To evaluate agents for reducing vector/man contact.and maintain reference colonies of southwest Pacific vectors of malaria..
- To provide assistance, training and reference materials to laboratories diagnosing malaria.
Types of activity:
- Providing technical advise to WHO
WHO organization wide expected result:
6.1 - Advice and support provided to Member States to build their capacity for health promotion across all relevant programmes, and to establish effective multisectoral and multidisciplinary collaborations for promoting health and preventing or reducing major risk factors.
3.3 - Improvements made in Member States’ capacity to collect, analyse, disseminate and use data on the magnitude, causes and consequences of chronic noncommunicable diseases, mental and neurological disorders, violence, injuries and disabilities together with visual impairment, including blindness.
+63 2 5289723
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork