Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Mass Gatherings and High Visibility/High Consequence Events
Director / Head:
Professor Paul Arbon
Disaster Research Centre
Sturt Road, Bedford Park,
+61 8 82013972
+61 8 8276 1602
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Carry out research on mass gatherings and extreme events to inform WHO (and Member States/Organizers) planning, responses, recovery activities, training programs and evidence-based guidelines.
- Develop scientific knowledge and provide operational, clinical, epidemiological and event management support on mass gatherings and extreme events to WHO, including the planning and modelling of events, event management and on-site health services, special needs groups such as children and young people, and technological innovations.
- Develop curricula and provide suitable training opportunities for mass gathering planners and service providers utilising WHO/HSE Guidelines and tools and participate in the development of new ones.
- Identify the best scientific evidence to support practice in mass gathering and extreme event health and identify key publications and experts to inform the work of WHO and its partners.
- Provide an international data base for mass gatherings to support research and decsion making by WHO/HSE and its partners.
- Communicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
- Health promotion & education
Types of activity:
- Providing technical advise to WHO
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
- Training and education
Ower: 1.8 - Regional and global capacity coordinated and made rapidly available to Member States for detection, verification, risk assessment and response to epidemics and other public health emergencies of international concern.
Ower: 1.6 - Support provided to Member States in order to achieve the minimum core capacities required by the International Health Regulations (2005) for the establishment and strengthening of alert and response systems for use in epidemics and other public health emergencies of international concern.
Ower: 6.1 - Advice and support provided to Member States to build their capacity for health promotion across all relevant programmes, and to establish effective multisectoral and multidisciplinary collaborations for promoting health and preventing or reducing major risk factors.
+41 22 791 1890
+63 2 5289944
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork