Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre on the Rational Use of Medicines
Director / Head:
Dr. Perla Mordujovich - Buschiazzo
Centre for Pharmacology, School of Medicine
National University of La Plata
calle 8 N 483 Hospital "Elina de la Serna Montes de Oca"
(54-221) 424 3706
(54-221) 489 0804
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- To assist countries on building /strengthen capacity for Medicines and Therapeutics Committees (MTC) and for the development of Essential Medicines Lists (EML), National Therapeutic Formularies (NTF) and standard treatment guidelines (STG) in agreement with the best available evidence on efficacy, safety and cost-effectiveness. These activities will be done in the framework of the Program driven by PAHO //WHO
- To support the implementation of the regional proposal for the Rational use of medicines at country level taking into account structural, educational, planning and evaluation processes.
- To provide technical support services to governments, PAHO strategic fund and other national or regional organizations (eg: Redetsa) for programmatic work related to the evaluation of medicines and medicines policy.
- To develop adequate tools (virtual, multi-media, face to face, etc) to support the learning-teaching process and the national capacity building related to medicines, vaccines and other health technologies evaluation
To develop and implement educational activities addressed to build national capacity on health technologies evaluations, particularly related to medicines and vaccines.
- To contribute with the design and implementation of medicines utilization studies as a tool to achieve a diagnosis and to develop adequate interventions on countries of the region.
- To support the implementation of a network of pharmacotherapeutic committees at the regional level for the exchange and updating of information, results of medicines selection and the peer review performance of the committees in the Regional Platform of Access and Innovation of PAHO/WHO
- Pharmaceuticals (including essential drugs and medicines)
- Health promotion & education
- Research policy & development
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
Ower: 11.2 - International norms, standards and guidelines for the quality, safety, efficacy and cost effective use of medical products and technologies developed and their national and/or regional implementation advocated and supported.
Ower: 11.3 - Evidence based policy guidance on promoting scientifically sound and cost-effective use of medical products and technologies by health workers and consumers developed and supported within the Secretariat and regional and national programmes.
CASTRO Jose Luis
+41 22 791 4420
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork