Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Epidemiology and Control of Tuberculosis
Director / Head:
Dr. Elsa Virginia Zerbini
Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias "Emilio Coni"
Avda. Blas Parera 8260, Casilla de Correo N° 6 Sucursal N° 8
(54-342) 489 2827
(54-342) 489 2827
Date of Designation:
Terms of Reference:
- Assisting WHO to make epidemiological analyses of mortality and morbidity from Tuberculosis, treatment evaluation and case finding in the Region stratified according to the magnitude of the problem.
- To participate, in cooperation with PAHO/WHO, in the organization, coordination, implementation and/or teaching or training activities on Program and Laboratory Network Management, Epidemiology, Tuberculosis control and laboratory diagnosis.
- In collaboration with WHO to conduct epidemiological, clinical and operational research in Tuberculosis and advise countries from the Region of the Americas to design and conduct those studies.
- In collaboration with WHO to elaborate and design technical handbooks and training material on tuberculosis and its control.
- To be part of the WHO/PAHO Laboratory Working Group in the Americas and participate in the activities involved in this.
Types of activity:
- Implementation of WHO programmes and activities at country level
- Training and education
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)
1.2.1 - Intensified implementation of Stop TB Strategy to scale up care and control, with focus on reaching vulnerable populations, strengthening surveillance, and alignment with health sector plans facilitated
1.2.2 - Updated policy guidance and technical guidelines on HIV-related tuberculosis, delivery of care for patients with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis, tuberculosis diagnostic approaches, tuberculosis screening in risk groups and integrated community-based management of tuberculosis
Ower: 2.4 - Global, regional and national systems for surveillance, evaluation and monitoring strengthened and expanded to keep track of progress towards targets and allocation of resources for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria control and to determine the impact of control efforts and the evolution of drug resistance.
DEL GRANADO Mirtha
+41 22 79 12485
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork