- Tous > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Antimicrobial Drug Resistance
- Tous > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Supply Management
- Mots-clés > antibiotic - prescription practices
- Mots-clés > antibiotics - pattern of consumption
- Mots-clés > antibiotics control
- Mots-clés > antimicrobial resistance - control
- Mots-clés > antimicrobial resistance surveillance
- Mots-clés > dispensing - antibiotics
- Mots-clés > dispensing control
- Mots-clés > electronic dispensing tool (EDT)
- Mots-clés > electronic Logistics Management Information System (eLMIS)
- Mots-clés > surveillance - antibiotic resistance and antibiotic use
(2016; 65 pages)
Berrada S, Mphaka T, and Van Loggerenberg M. 2016. Using Electronic Pharmacy Dispensing Data for Surveillance of Outpatient Antibiotic Consumption at District and Provincial Hospitals in the South African Public Sector: A Feasibility Study in North West Province (Anonymised). 2016. Submitted to the US Agency for International Development by the Systems for Improved Access to Pharmaceuticals and Services (SIAPS) Program. Arlington, VA: Management Sciences for Health.
The primary aim of this study was to assess the feasibility of using electronic pharmacy dispensing data extracted from RxSolution® for the surveillance of outpatient (ambulatory) antibiotic consumption and monitor antibiotic prescribing practices at district and provincial hospitals in public health facilities in North West Province, South Africa, between April 2013 and March 2015. This was an exploratory project to develop hypotheses on the volume of antibiotics used and prescribing patterns.