- Tous > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Financing
- Tous > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Selection
- Tous > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Supply Management
- Mots-clés > drug supply
- Mots-clés > Essential Medicines List (EML)
- Mots-clés > medicine supply
- Mots-clés > PAHO Strategic Fund (the)
- Mots-clés > procurement - procedures & processes
- Mots-clés > procurement - regional mechanisms
- Mots-clés > procurement of medicines
- Mots-clés > Regional Revolving Fund for Strategic Public Health Supplies (the Strategic Fund)
- Mots-clés > Revolving Drug Funds (RDFs)
- Mots-clés > selection of medicines
(2016; 64 pages)
The second meeting of the PAHO Expert Committee for the Selection and Inclusion of Medicines in the Pan American Health Organization Strategic Fund was held at Pan American Health Organization Headquarters in Washington, D.C. (USA) on 7–9 July 2015.
The goal of the meeting was to review and update the current Strategic Fund Medicine List, last updated in August 2013. Ten experts from the Region of the Americas were convened to issue recommendations to the Director of PAHO for the potential inclusion or exclusion of twenty medicines in the Strategic Fund Medicine List.
In accordance with approved procedures based on the concept of “Essential Medicines,” the PAHO Expert Committee reviewed applications for twenty medicines for the treatment of HIV/AIDS, multi-drug resistant tuberculosis, malaria, and neglected infectious diseases. It considered scientific evidence regarding the clinical effectiveness, safety, and cost for these medicines compared to those alternative treatments already included in the Strategic Fund’s Medicine List when available. Seven applications for treatment of HIV/AIDS and drug-resistant tuberculosis were previously reviewed by the 20th WHO Expert Committee for the Selection and Use of Essential Medicines, held in Geneva in April 2015, and thirteen applications were evaluated based only on evidence presented by PAHO and its collaborators.
The PAHO Expert Committee issued recommendations to the Director of PAHO for updating the Strategic Fund Medicine List.