- Mots-clés > African Medicines Agency (AMA)
- Mots-clés > African Medicines Regulatory Harmonization (AMRH)
- Mots-clés > harmonization of medicines regulation
- Mots-clés > International Coalition of Medicines Regulatory Authorities (ICMRA)
- Mots-clés > medicines registration systems
- Mots-clés > medicines regulation
- Mots-clés > medicines regulatory authority (MRA)
- Mots-clés > National Medicines Regulatory Authority (NMRA)
- Mots-clés > regulatory authority - medicines
- Mots-clés > regulatory harmonization
- Mots-clés > autorités de réglementation pharmaceutique
(2014; 84 pages)
The First African Ministers of Health meeting jointly convened by the African Union Commission (AUC) and World Health Organization (WHO) was held in Luanda, Angola, from 16 to 17 April 2014. The meeting was preceded by an Experts’ Meeting held from 14 to 15 April 2014.
Effective medicines regulation promotes and protects public health. Regulation aims to ensure the quality, safety and efficacy of medical products through the enforcement of legislation, norms and standards. National Medicines Regulatory Authorities (NMRAs) with adequate capacity including a clear legal mandate, quality management systems, human and financial resources, infrastructure and enforcement systems can efficiently play this role of medicines regulation. However, the regulatory systems in many countries are weak, delaying access to quality medical products and resulting in the proliferation of substandard/spurious/falsely-labelled/falsified/counterfeit (SSFFC) medical products.
To prevent the circulation and use of SSFFC medical products, the Sixtieth Session of the WHO Regional Committee for Africa, held in Malabo, in 2010, stressed the need to strengthen the capacities of NMRAs and, to that end, recommended the establishment of an African Medicines Agency (AMA)...
Globally, there is only one example of a regional centralized regulatory system, i.e. the European Medicines Agency (EMA). The European Union (EU) harmonization, which began in 1965, started with the creation of Community-wide mechanisms and a clear definition of the mandate of the Community and the mandate of Member States...