The health committee should be mobilized to realise the following in proper functioning of the dispensary:
• Go through previous inspection reports made by the appropriate authority and note any action to be taken.
• Check the general cleanliness of the dispensary.
• Compare monthly turnover at the dispensary in relation to the number of patients that were seen at the health centre.
• Confirm the availability of all approved drugs on the list in the dispensary.
The committee has to meet on a regular basis with the head of the health centre to plan activities for the health centre and dispensary and prepare strategies for the implementation of planned activities. The health committee should be mobilized to do the following:
• Oversee necessary security measures in the dispensary as described in Section 7.14.
• Provide adequate furniture for the centre.
• Procure shelves for the drugs.
• Use an appropriate method to select a candidate to work in the dispensary.
• Follow up training of selected candidates at the medical store.
• Engage the trained candidate on contract.
• Inspect financial documents and detect any deficits early enough.
• Check that all administrative records in the dispensary are up-to-date.
• Ensure maintenance, cleanliness and proper-set up of the dispensary.
• Participate in handing over the dispensary in case of any absence.
• Sensitize the population on the advantages of the use of the dispensary.
• Assist in receiving drugs for the health centre, when necessary.
• Assist in all inventory taking.
• Employ a watchman for the dispensary and health centre.