• Two pills a day saving lives: Fixed-dose combinations (FDCs) of antiretroviral drugs. MSF, Geneva, 2004.
• AIDS epidemic update. UNAIDS/WHO, Geneva, 2003.
• Treating 3 million by 2005: Making it happen. UNAIDS/WHO, Geneva, 2003.
• Guidelines for price discounts of single-source pharmaceuticals (interagency document). WHO, Geneva, 2003 (WHO/EDM/PAR/2003.3).
• Human capacity-building plan for scaling up HIV/AIDS treatment. WHO, Geneva, 2003.
• Partnership work: the health service-community interface for the prevention, care and treatment of HIV/AIDS. Report of a WHO consultation, 5-6 December 2002. WHO, Geneva, 2003.
• Handbook on access to HIV/AIDS-related treatment. A collection of information, tools and resources for NGOs, CBOs and PLWA groups. Joint publication UNAIDS, WHO and International AIDS Alliance, Geneva, 2003.
• Levison L Policy and programming options for reducing the procurement costs of essential medication in developing countries. Boston University School of Public Health, 2003.
• A commitment to action for expanded access to HIV/AIDS treatment. International HIV Treatment Access Coalition, WHO, Geneva, 2002 (WHO/HIV/2002.24).
• Berwick D. “ We All Have AIDS”: The case for reducing the cost of HIV medicines to zero. British Medical Journal, 2002, 324: 214 218.
• Guidelines on interaction with commercial enterprises to achieve health outcomes. Annex to guidelines on working with the private sector to achieve health outcomes. WHO, Geneva, 2000 (EB107/20).
• Guidelines for drug donations (interagency document). WHO, Geneva, 1999 (WHO/EDM/PAR/99.4).
• Antiretroviral drugs and the prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV infection in resource-limited settings. Draft document. WHO, Geneva, 2004.
• Integrated management of adolescent and adult illness (IMAI) modules. WHO, Geneva, 2004 (WHO/CDS/IMAI/2004.1).
• WHO Model Formulary 2004. WHO, Geneva, 2004.
• A public health approach for scaling up antiretroviral (ARV) treatment. A toolkit for programme managers. WHO, Geneva, 2003.
• The selection and use of essential medicines. Report of the WHO Expert Committee, 2003 (including the 13th Model List of Essential Medicines). WHO, Geneva, 2003 (WHO Technical Report Series, No. 920).
• Saving mothers, saving families: The MTCT-Plus Initiative. Perspectives and practice in antiretroviral treatment. Case study. WHO, Geneva, 2003.
• Guidelines for the management of sexually transmitted infections. WHO, Geneva, 2003.
• Scaling up antiretroviral therapy in resource limited settings: Treatment guidelines for a public health approach. WHO, Geneva, 2003.
• Emergency scale-up of antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings: Technical and operational recommendations to achieve 3 by 5. Report of the WHO/UNAIDS consultation,18-21 November 2003, Zambia. WHO, Geneva, 2003.
• Provision of antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings: A review of experience up to August 2003. WHO and UK Department for International Development, 2003.
• Monitoring and evaluating of national ART programmes in the rapid scale-up to 3 by 5. Draft document. WHO, Geneva, 2003.
• Guidelines for surveillance of HIV drug resistance. Draft document for review. WHO, Geneva, 2003.
• HIV/AIDS care and treatment: A clinical course for people caring for people living with HIV/AIDS. Family Health International, Arlington, VA, 2003.
• AIDS Palliative Care: UNAIDS Technical Update, October 2000.
• Evidence for action: Effectiveness of community-based outreach in preventing HIV/AIDS among injecting drug users. WHO, Geneva, 2004.
• Training guide for HIV prevention outreach to injecting drug users. Workshop Manual. WHO, Geneva, 2004.
• Substitution maintenance therapy in the management of opioid dependence and HIV/AIDS prevention. WHO/UNODC/UNAIDS position paper. WHO, Geneva, 2004.
• Rapid HIV tests. Draft guidelines for use in HIV testing and counselling services in resource-constrained settings. WHO, Geneva, 2004.
• Increasing access to HIV testing and counselling. Report of a WHO Consultation, 19-21 November 2002. WHO, Geneva, 2003.
• The right to know. New approaches to HIV testing and counselling. WHO, Geneva, 2003 (WHO/HIV/2003.08).
• Increasing Access to Knowledge of HIV Status. Conclusions of a WHO Consultation, 3-4 December 2001. WHO, Geneva, 2002 (WHO/HIV/2002.09).
• Interim policy on collaborative TB/HIV activities. WHO, Geneva, 2004 (WHO/HTM/HIV/2004.1).
• HIV/AIDS Medicines and related supplies: Contemporary context and procurement. Technical Guide. World Bank, Washington, DC, 2004.
• Surmounting challenges: Procurement of antiretroviral medicines in low- and middle-income countries, WHO/MSF, Geneva, 2003.
• Managing Drug Supply. 3rd edition. WHO and Management Sciences for Health, Arlington, VA, 2003.
• Operational principles for good pharmaceutical procurement (interagency document). WHO, Geneva, 1999 (WHO/EDM/PAR/99.5).
Intellectual Property rights and pharmaceuticals
• HIV/AIDS medicines and related supplies: Contemporary context and procurement. Technical guide. Chapter 2 and Annex B. World Bank, Washington, DC, 2004.
• Drug patents under the spotlight: sharing practical knowledge about pharmaceutical patents. MSF, Geneva, 2003.
• Globalization, patents and drugs. An annotated bibliography. Health Economics and Drugs Series number 9. WHO, Geneva, 2002 (EDM/PAR/2002.1).
• Implications of the DOHA Declaration on the TRIPS Agreement and public health. WHO, Geneva, 2002 (WHO/EDM/PAR/2002.3).
• Network for monitoring the impact of globalization and TRIPS on access to medicines. Health Economics and Drugs Series number 11. WHO, Geneva, 2002 (WHO/EDM/PAR/2002.1).
• Globalization, TRIPS and access to pharmaceuticals. WHO Policy Perspectives on Medicines number 3. WHO, Geneva, 2001.
• Patent situation of HIV/AIDS-related drugs in 80 countries. UNAIDS/WHO, Geneva, 2000.
• Globalization and access to drugs: Perspectives on the WTO/TRIPS Agreement. Health Economics and Drugs Series number 7 (revised). WHO, Geneva, 1998 (WHO/DAP/98.9).
• Drug Price Information Services: What is WHO doing to improve drug price information? WHO Information Sheet.
• The Consumer Project on Technology. Fact sheet.
• Medicine prices: a new approach to measurement. WHO and Health Action International, Geneva,2003 (WHO/EDM/PAR/2003.2).
• Cost-containment mechanisms for essential medicines, including antiretrovirals, in China. WHO, Geneva, 2003 (WHO/EDM/PAR/2003.6).
• Overview of pharmaceutical pricing and reimbursement regulation in Europe. Panos Kanavos, LSE Health and Social Care, 2001.
• Policies on pricing and reimbursement of medicines in Europe: Networking for information exchange among policy makers. Annex: Comparative Review of Drug Prices. WHO Regional Office for Europe, Copenhagen, 2000.
• Public-private roles in the pharmaceutical sector. Im- plications for equitable access and rational drug use. WHO, Geneva, 1997 (WHO/DAP/99.12).
• Alternative drug pricing policies in the Americas. WHO, Geneva, 1995 (WHO/DAP/95.6).
Others websites for information related to HIV/AIDS
AIDS Education Global Information System:
AVERT (an international HIV/AIDS charity):
DOTS-plus for multidrug resistant TB:
Health Action International. http://www.haiweb.org:
International HIV/AIDS Alliance. http://www.aidsalliance.org/
John Snow Inc/DELIVER:
Management Sciences for Health:
Sexually Transmitted Infections:
Stop TB Partnership:
The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria:
The Global TB Drug Facility:
• For further information about suppliers or products, please contact:
Sources of Medicines for HIV/AIDS Survey
Pharmaceutical and Micronutrients Team
UNICEF Supply Division
Fax: +45 35 269421
• For further information on HIV test kit evaluation or the bulk procurement scheme, contact:
Essential Health and Technologies (EHT)
World Health Organization
Fax +41 22 791 4836
• For any comments on this document, or additional information that could be useful to this project, please complete the feedback form, Annex 5, and return it to:
Sources of medicines for HIV/AIDS Survey
Pharmaceutical and Micronutrient Team
UNICEF Supply Division
Unicef plads Freeport DK-2100 Copenagen
Fax: +45 35 269421