In order for a DTC to function it should have a multidisciplinary, transparent approach, technical competence and an official mandate. It is essential to define and document:
• the membership of the DTC, including the chairperson and secretary, and criteria for membership
• the goals, objectives and functions of the DTC
• how the DTC will operate and its terms of reference
• the funding sources identified
• the mandate - DTCs will not work without senior administrative support
• the relationship of the DTC with other subcommittees for specific areas of work
• a process for self-assessment and evaluation.