• doxycycline, 100mg orally, twice daily for 7 days
• azithromycin, 1g orally, in a single dose
• amoxycillin, 500mg orally, three times a day for 7 days
• erythromycin, 500mg orally, four times a day for 7 days
• ofloxacin, 300mg orally, twice a day for 7 days
• tetracycline, 500mg orally, four times a day for 7 days.
• Doxycycline (and other tetracyclines) are contraindicated during pregnancy and lactation.
• Current evidence indicates that 1 gram single dose therapy of azithromycin is efficacious for chlamydia infection.
There is evidence that extending the duration of treatment beyond 7 days does not improve the cure rate in uncomplicated chlamydia infection. Erythromycin should not be taken on an empty stomach.
Compliance with the 7-day regimens is critical. Resistance of C. trachomatis to recommended treatment regimens has not been observed.
CHLAMYDIAL INFECTION IN PREGNANCY
• erythromycin, 500mg orally four times a day for 7 days
• amoxycillin, 500mg orally three times a day for 7 days.
• Doxycycline (and other tetracyclines) and ofloxacin are contraindicated in pregnant women. The safety and efficacy of azithromycin use in pregnant and lactating women have not been established.
• Erythromycin estolate is contraindicated during pregnancy because of drug-related hepato-toxicity so only erythromycin base or erythromycin ethylsuccinate should be used.