- Todos > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Financing
- Todos > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Pricing
- Palabras clave > biosimilar products - originator products
- Palabras clave > cost-sharing mechanisms - pharmaceuticals
- Palabras clave > drug expenditure
- Palabras clave > generic substitution policy - prices
- Palabras clave > medicine expenditures
- Palabras clave > pharmaceutical expenditure
- Palabras clave > pharmaceutical pricing
- Palabras clave > price-setting mechanisms
- Palabras clave > prices / pricing policy
- Palabras clave > procurement prices
(2017; 1 page)
OECD (2017), Tackling Wasteful Spending on Health, OECD Publishing, Paris.
This chapter focuses on opportunities to spend less on pharmaceuticals and other medical supplies. It starts with a discussion of perhaps the most intuitive case of waste, which occurs when prescribed pharmaceuticals (and other medical goods) are discarded unused. Next, the chapter proceeds to the foregone opportunities associated with not substituting originator drugs with cheaper therapeutic alternatives, such as generics or biosimilars. The final issue explored is whether lower prices for pharmaceuticals and other medical supplies could be obtained with more efficient procurement processes.