- Todos > Medicine Information and Evidence for Policy > Medicines Policy
- Todos > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Supply Management
- Palabras clave > concepts and definitions
- Palabras clave > evidence-based policy
- Palabras clave > health system building blocks
- Palabras clave > indicators - health system performance
- Palabras clave > pharmaceutical services - building capacity
- Palabras clave > pharmaceutical system indicators
- Palabras clave > pharmaceutical system performance
- Palabras clave > Strengthening Pharmaceutical Systems (SPS)
- Palabras clave > supply chain integration
(2016; 94 pages)
Soucy Brown M, and D Lee Chin. 2016. Analyzing Options for Strengthening Pharmaceutical Systems. Submitted to the US Agency for International Development by the Systems for Improved Access to Pharmaceuticals and Services (SIAPS) Program. Arlington, VA: Management Sciences for Health.
To promote informed decision making in selecting appropriate interventions to address complex issues faced by health and pharmaceutical systems, the USAID-funded Systems for Improved Access to Pharmaceuticals and Services (SIAPS) program has prepared this guidance document for technical assistance providers, policymakers, and key stakeholders in pharmaceutical systems to use as they consider system improvements and intervention alternatives. This approach involves active engagement of relevant stakeholders throughout a systematic assessment and comparison of options based on current system considerations, viability of potential interventions in view of their operational characteristics, existing legal and regulatory frameworks, and potential cost implications.
This paper describes an evidence-based approach for the critical and systematic analysis of intervention options in pharmaceutical systems, supported by practical examples and technical annexes that the reader may use to tailor the approach to a variety of technical areas and problems.