- Palabras clave > alternative medicine
- Palabras clave > medicinal plants
- Palabras clave > primary health care (PHC)
- Palabras clave > traditional medicine
- Palabras clave > traditional medicine strategy
- Palabras clave > traditional medicine systems
- Palabras clave > traditional practitioners
- Palabras clave > traditional remedies
(2005; 53 pages)
The fifty-sixth session of WHO Regional Committee of South-East Asia, held in September 2003, adopted a resolution (SEA/RC56/R6) which requested the Regional Director:
- to share evidence-based information and country experiences on traditional systems of medicine in the Region as well as experiences of other regions;
- to assist Member States in developing/strengthening national policies, strategies and plans of action on traditional systems of medicine;
- to establish a “Regional Task Force” on traditional medicine for regularly reviewing the regional situation and facilitating the development of national and regional strategies and policies on traditional systems of medicine, and
- to facilitate and advocate, in collaboration with development partners and WHO headquarters, for the establishment of a “Global Alliance on Traditional Medicine”.
Accordingly, a Regional Working Group (RWG) on Traditional Medicine met in August 2004 in the WHO Regional Office for South-East Asia India and reviewed developments in traditional medicine (TM) in the South-East Asia Region (SEAR). Based on the recommendations of the Regional Committee and RWG, the Regional Director decided to organize a regional consultative meeting on TM, with larger participation.
At the invitation of the Ministry of Public Health, DPR Korea, a Regional Consultation on Development of Traditional Medicine in the SEA Region was convened in Pyongyang, DPR Korea.