- Todos > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Pricing
- Todos > Quality and Safety: Medicines > Regulatory Support
- Palabras clave > affordability
- Palabras clave > availability and access to generics
- Palabras clave > generic drug policies
- Palabras clave > generic substitution policy - prices
- Palabras clave > generics poliicies
- Palabras clave > medicines registration
- Palabras clave > medicines registration - backlog
- Palabras clave > price competition
- Palabras clave > registration of pharmaceuticals
(2015; 9 pages)
Reprint with permission. Leng H, et al. Pro-generics policies and the backlog in medicines registration in South Africa: implications for access to essential and affordable medicines. Generics and Biosimilars Initiative Journal (GaBI Journal). 2015;4(2):58-63.
The backlog in medicines registration in South Africa is a result of the implementation of pro-generics policies without strengthening the regulator to handle the substantial increase in registration applications that followed. Despite the backlog, more than enough generics are registered to promote price competition and ensure access to affordable medicines.