- Todos > Medicine Information and Evidence for Policy > Medicines Policy
- Todos > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Selection
- Palabras clave > access to essential medicines
- Palabras clave > Action Programme on Essential Drugs
- Palabras clave > concepts and definitions
- Palabras clave > essential medicines - concept
- Palabras clave > essential medicines history
- Palabras clave > essential medicines policy
- Palabras clave > selection of medicines
(1985; 18 pages) [French]
The financial resources in developing countries are inadequate to meet even the basic requirements of the majority of the population. The discrepancy between need and availability has become critical with regard to essential drugs.
The provision of essential drugs and vaccines forms one of the basic components of primary health care, expressed in the Declaration of Alma Ata at the WHO/UNICEF sponsored international conference on primary health care in 1978. The regular supply of a limited number of essential drugs is also one of the indicators to measure progress in attaining the goal of Health for All by the Year 2000.