Key policy issues
The fourth essential component of strategies to increase access to essential drugs is a reliable supply system. Key policy issues are:
• public-private mix in drug supply ad distribution systems;
• commitment to good pharmaceutical procurement practices in the public sector;
• publication of price information on raw materials and finished products;
• drug supply systems in acute emergencies;
• inventory control, prevention of theft and waste;
• disposal of unwanted or expired drugs.