On the basis of the country studies, it is recommended that the WHO country offices in the African Region:
• establish policies on how to involve NGOs in drug distribution and supply;
• use the comparative advantage of WHO to act as a link between MoHs, national drug programmes and NGOs;
• support MoHs in increasing the involvement of NGOs in drug distribution and supply;
• establish mechanisms together with MoHs whereby NGO experiences can be collected and documented.
It is also recommended that NGOs in the countries:
• form coalitions of NGOs involved in drug distribution and supply, to create partners for the national drug programmes and WHO;
• define the role of NGOs in drug distribution and supply.