On the basis of the above analysis and conclusions, it is recommended that each of the WHO programmes:
• establishes an evidence-based overview of the importance of NGOs in drug distribution and supply;
• creates a network overview of the NGOs with which it interacts, thereby creating transparency inside the programme and between programmes;
• develops an explicit policy on NGO collaboration (including guidelines for informal collaboration, an indication of what NGOs can expect from the programme, and a list of criteria that NGOs must meet in order to establish informal relations with the programme);
• establishes mechanisms whereby NGO experiences in drug distribution and supply can be collected and documented;
• addresses involvement of NGOs in the countries as part of programme policy;
• helps countries to establish overviews of the NGOs involved in drug distribution and supply at national level.