Issue 1: How to increase the public health budget as well as the drug budget (THA, INO, MMR).
A situation analysis of the current health problems and priorities should be the basis for requesting an increase in the budget for health and drugs.
Issue 2: How to introduce financial mechanisms to improve rational drug use (THA).
1. Each country should calculate the drug budget needed, based on morbidity data and health priority setting.
2. Each country should formulate a system of efficient drug supply management, including selection, planning, purchasing, storage, distribution, monitoring and evaluation.
3. The budget for drugs should also include budget for the overall management of the drug sector.
Issue 3: How to improve equity and ensure that government subsidies reach target populations, including low income groups (INO).
1. Each government should allocate special funds for free health services to the poor.
2. The community must be involved in the management of the cost-sharing programme.
3. Each country should develop an effective mechanism to ensure that government subsidies reach the poor, by strengthening planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation.