1.5.1 Broad objective
The purpose of this study was to identify possible factors which constrain or facilitate adherence to ART among AIDS patients and suggest possible ways to improve adherence.
1.5.2 Specific objectives
The study aimed to:
• determine the proportion of patients who achieve/do not achieve optimal adherence to ART in selected health facilities in Tanzania
• identify factors (structural, socioeconomic, cultural and disease-related) contributing to sub-optimal adherence
• assess the quality of the operating structures for the provision of ARVs in the selected health facilities
• assess the quality of the processes involved in providing ART services for patients attending the selected sites
• document suggestions and proposals for improving ART adherence from ARV users, health care providers and key informants.