- All > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Good Governance for Medicines
- All > Quality and Safety: Medicines > Regulatory Support
- Keywords > appropriate use
- Keywords > Code of Conduct for Pharmaceutical Advertising
- Keywords > code of practice
- Keywords > dispensing - professional information
- Keywords > Ethical Criteria for Medicinal Drug Promotion
- Keywords > ethical practices and standards
- Keywords > information, education, and communication (IEC)
- Keywords > marketing practices
- Keywords > pharmaceutical industry - research-based
- Keywords > pharmaceutical promotion
(2012; 24 pages)
The International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers and Associations (IFPMA) member companies engage in medical and biopharmaceutical research in order to benefit patients and support high-quality patient care. Pharmaceutical companies, represented by IFPMA, promote, sell and distribute their products in an ethical manner and in accordance with all the rules and regulations for medicines and healthcare.
The following Guiding Principles set out basic standards to inform the 2012 IFPMA Code of Practice which applies to the conduct of IFPMA Member Companies and their agents. This helps ensure that their interactions with stakeholders are appropriate.
- The healthcare and well-being of patients are the first priority for pharmaceutical companies.
- Pharmaceutical companies will conform to high standards of quality, safety and efficacy as determined by regulatory authorities.
- Pharmaceutical companies’ interactions with stakeholders must at all times be ethical, appropriate and professional. Nothing should be offered or provided by a company in a manner or on conditions that would have an inappropriate influence.
- Pharmaceutical companies are responsible for providing accurate, balanced, and scientifically valid data on products.
- Promotion must be ethical, accurate, balanced and must not be misleading. Information in promotional materials must support proper assessment of the risks and benefits of the product and its appropriate use.
- Pharmaceutical companies will respect the privacy and personal information of patients.
- All clinical trials and scientific research sponsored or supported by companies will be conducted with the intent to develop knowledge that will benefit patients and advance science and medicine. Pharmaceutical companies are committed to the transparency of industry sponsored clinical trials in patients.
- Pharmaceutical companies should adhere to both the spirit and the letter of applicable industry codes. To achieve this, pharmaceutical companies will ensure that all relevant personnel are appropriately trained.