- Keywords > access to essential medicines
- Keywords > essential medicines policy
- Keywords > medicines policy
- Keywords > medicines policy development
- Keywords > medicines regulation
- Keywords > medicines utilization
- Keywords > national medicines policy (NMP)
- Keywords > pharmaceutical industry
- Keywords > policy implementation
- Keywords > universal access to essential medicines
(2012; 4 pages)
(Aust Prescr 2012;35:190-3)
Medicines have an important role in providing health for all people. National medicines policies can help to achieve this goal. Delegates from the Asia Pacific region have met to discuss how to actively implement national medicines policies. Although the countries are diverse, they have common challenges such as access to medicines, antibiotic resistance and the rational use of medicines.
Health insurance schemes can improve access to medicines. The pharmaceutical industry also needs to be involved in achieving universal access and rational use. Consumer groups have an important role in ensuring policies are implemented. They can also be involved in promoting health literacy. There is a need to build the capacity of drug regulatory agencies in the region. Regional cooperation will be needed to tackle problems of medicines quality, safety and rational use.