- All > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Rational Use
- All > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Supply Management
- Keywords > Good Storage Practices (GSP)
- Keywords > handling (distribution; storage and transportation)
- Keywords > inventory management
- Keywords > medical stores - management
- Keywords > medical supplies and equipment - procurement, storage, stock control
- Keywords > stock storage and handling
- Keywords > storage
- Keywords > storage - (temperature, humidity, cold chain)
- Keywords > training materials
- Keywords > warehouse management system
- Keywords > stockage
(2012; 54 pages)
This manual was developed by CDMU- Odisha, having obtained technical inputs from the manuals of UNICEF, WHO, DELIVER, DSPRUD and Government of Odisha. We hereby acknowledged the contribution of all of them to help CDMU to develop this manual.
Drugs and medical supplies are dispensed at the cutting edge level of the interface between the public health system and the people. Availability or lack of it brings either credit or discredit to the public health system. The primary reason for holding stocks of medicines and medical supplies in a proper scientific manner is to ensure continuous and uninterrupted availability to prevent stock-outs, especially of critical items of supply while at the same time ensuring that stocks of medicines do not get expired. An efficient inventory management is a pre-requisite for optimal stock management. It enables the management of health facilities to know the current pattern of consumption of drug trends over a period of time and also variances. The environmental control of the drugs and other medical supplies play an important role to keep the products' efficacy intact. Some medicines and vaccines need special storage temperature, otherwise, there may be wastage. The quality of the medicines can be adversely affected by poor storage, transportation and distribution. Thus, maintaining proper storage condition for health commodities is vital for ensuring their quality. So, by this training, CDMU wants to educate different people dealing with medicines and equip them for the roles they have to perform efficiently so that the wastage does not take place or can be minimized.
The Rational Use of Medicines and supply of essential generic medicines is an important area to make any health program successful and economical with quality. This training on “Medical Stores Management” will help the participants to understand the issue better so that they can maintain their respective medical stores better. Hope, this manual will help the participants and the readers will find it useful.