- All > Medicine Information and Evidence for Policy > Medicines Policy
- All > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Pricing
- All > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Supply Management
- Keywords > compulsory licence
- Keywords > HIV/AIDS related treatment
- Keywords > HIV/AIDS-related drugs
- Keywords > Intellectual Property Rights
- Keywords > IP enforcement measures
- Keywords > patent infringement
- Keywords > patent system
- Keywords > patents
- Keywords > TRIPS Agreement
- Keywords > TRIPS flexibilities
(2011; 12 pages)
The right of every human being to access the highest attainable standards of health is now fully recognized by numerous national constitutions and legally binding international human rights treaties. Access to essential medicines is now established as a part of the right to health. In the context of HIV, this includes access to antiretroviral drugs and other medicines essential for HIV care, including medicines for the treatment of opportunistic infections such as tuberculosis.
This paper reviews how countries can successfully use the flexibilities of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) to increase access to HIV treatment...