- All > Medicine Information and Evidence for Policy > Information and Publications
- All > Medicine Access and Rational Use > Supply Management
(2009; 7 pages)
Our teams of dedicated staff have utilized both innovative and tried-and-true technologies to make a difference for the people living with HIV/AIDS in the countries where we work. The results are impressive.
- We have virtually eliminated stockouts of ARVs and rapid test kits for clients who procure these commodities regularly through SCMS.
- We have delivered more than $247M of commodities, most of it in the last two years.
- By purchasing generic antiretroviral drugs and through price discounts based on our pooled procurement volume, we have saved the US taxpayer $367.7M to date in our ARV purchases.
- We have saved more than $6.7M in freight costs to date (compared to air freight) by shifting deliveries for clients who plan ahead from air freight to sea and road.
- We have guaranteed the chain of custody for our products, through physical measures, quality assurance testing, and the visibility provided by our information systems. There has been only one theft to date, of a single carton.
- By introducing worldclass technologies, including logistics management information systems; handheld inventory devices; temperature controls and cold chain facilities; expiry and batch control; and racking and bar coding, we are helping transform warehousing in many countries, including Ethiopia, Guyana, Mozambique, Namibia and Rwanda.
All of these accomplishments have relied on a variety of sophisticated technologies—computers equipment and software, the Internet, quality assurance laboratories and many more.
In this issue of Supply Lines, you will read about inspiring efforts in Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia and Guyana, and learn about our efforts to help you and others connect with each other to share your experiences, ideas and best practices. You’ll notice all these stories address how technology, from handheld devices to sophisticated warehouse management systems, is helping create sustainable solutions and save lives...