(1994; 115 pages) [French] [Spanish]
CHECKLIST 5. Intramuscular injection
Syringe with the drug to be administered (without air), needle (Gauss 22, long and medium thickness; on syringe), liquid disinfectant, cotton wool, adhesive tape.
1. Wash hands.
2. Reassure the patient and explain the procedure.
3. Uncover the area to be injected (lateral upper quadrant major gluteal muscle, lateral side of upper leg, deltoid muscle).
4. Disinfect the skin.
5. Tell the patient to relax the muscle.
6. Insert the needle swiftly at an angle of 90 degrees (watch depth!).
7. Aspirate briefly; if blood appears, withdraw needle. Replace it with a new one, if possible, and start again from point 4.
8. Inject slowly (less painful).
9. Withdraw needle swiftly.
10. Press sterile cotton wool onto the opening. Fix with adhesive tape.
11. Check the patient's reaction and give additional reassurance, if necessary.
12. Clean up; dispose of waste safely; wash your hands.